About Me

My photo
I recently graduated with an MBA and an M.S. Information Systems from Boston University, concentrating in Marketing and Business Analytics. I also live on a boat and have a Boston Terrier named Maracas.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

iPhone Apps for Business Students - Day 4


Day 4 – AWS
5:04 pm
I am pretty excited with all of the progress that I have made!
This morning I finished coding the calculator so that the slider would work and the user would not be able to input numbers in the calculator.  The was this was done was by connecting the slider to the actual “action” and replacing the text fields with labels.  That’s it.  
Eventually, I started playing with the AWS SDK.  I ran a demo app that they included called “HighScores.”  This application allows a user to input a player’s name and their score.  Then, the app logs into the SimpleDB of AWS and downloads the info.  This is something that I’m interested in because I would like to register a user, and also log their scores and energy usage.  My only problem was that I wasn’t able to see the tables after inputing the info.  After some research I came across a plug-in for Firefox that allows me to connect directly to AWS and query my tables.  Here is the link for the plug-in: http://code.google.com/p/sdbtool/
After getting that to work I was very excited to actually program my app so that you can register your name, email, and password.  I decided that the best way to do this would be to work backwards from the “HighScores” app.  NOT AS EASY AS IT SOUNDS! I have had many issues and have had to work out many bugs.  The nice thing is that I am learning a bunch.  I finally got it to work (10 minutes ago, that’s why I’m writing this) but I am not able to register anything on AWS.  I will keep working on this next week.  For now I have to work on other school stuff.
Here is a picture of Maracas on a boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment